Okonomiyaki (ãŠå¥½ã¿ç„¼ã) is one of my favorite things to eat for breakfast (or lunch, actually!). I’ve always been a fan of the savory foods over the sweeter ones. Give me a choice between ice cream or french fries and I’ll choose french fries every time. So, a savory pancake? With yummy insides like garlic and onion and spinach… YES PLEASE! It’s a meal you normally make with egg, so you can imagine my excitement when I made it last weekend without and it turned out perfectly. You can imagine me in the kitchen with my arms up in the air making faint crowd cheering noises if you’d like, because that’s what actually happened. And since posting recipes around lunch time always makes me hungry- I will succumb this time and make this for lunch. Have a great weekend, friends!
What You Need
â˜‘ 1 cup flour
â˜‘ 1 egg replacer (Can be store bought or you can use 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar & 1 tsp baking soda)
â˜‘ 1 â€“ 2 cups fresh spinach/kale/nappa cabbage/ or your green of choice [minced]
â˜‘ 3/4 cup rice milk or water
â˜‘ 1/4 tsp salt
â˜‘ Okonomi sauce – If you donâ€™t have access to a Japanese market near you (or can’t order ingredients online), donâ€™t worry, there are lots of sauces that taste good on top. Katsu sauce, aka tonkatsu sauce is great, even teriyaki sauce is delicious. Those can usually be found in the international or Asian sections of your local grocery store.
This is your base recipe. Okonomiyaki literally means â€œas you like itâ€. So you can add whatever you like at this stage, your favorite foods or leftovers from previous meals. Things like green onions, shallots, ginger, garlic, seaweed, etc are great examples.
What You Do
1. Preheat pan with oil on medium heat.
2. Place all the batter ingredients into a bowl and stir until just combined- do not over mix!
3. Pour a large pancake sized serving out onto your pan. (I find this recipe makes two large servings, so you should have half the batter left.)
4. Add any additional toppings
5. Allow to cook thoroughly on both sides (3-5 minutes, depending on toppings), add sauce of choice and serve while hot!